SCIAMACHY Cal/Val Plan
The detailed SCIAMACHY Validation Plan was defined by the SCIAMACHY Validation and Interpretation Group (SCIAVALIG) at the beginning of the mission, detailing the validation needs. A review of the validation activities was performed by SCIAVALIG in 2012 in the frame of the "The Great SCIAMACHY Validation Assessment".
The final calibrated Earth radiance spectra were obtained by applying several calibration steps to the measured Earthshine signals. They include in-flight calibration measurements, on-ground measurements performed under thermal vacuum conditions or ambient tests. Monitoring the optical performance monitoring made it possible to correct for degradation effects throughout the instrument's lifetime.
The calibration scheme adopted during the SCIAMACHY lifetime was defined by an expert calibration team before launch, and constantly revised throughout the mission. Accurate in-flight calibration parameters, required to calibrate the Level 1b products, were regularly calculated from specific measurement categories planned on daily, weekly, and monthly timescales. Dark signal parameters, Pixel-to-Pixel Gain and Etalon parameters, Spectral calibration parameters, and Solar reference spectra were thus derived.
Validation had to ensure that geophysical quantities derived from SCIAMACHY measurements met quality requirements defined by the mission manager, in particular for scientific studies and applications. SCIAMACHY validation activites were undertaken continuously and co-ordinated by the SCIAMACHY Validation and Interpretation Group (SCIAVALIG).
The validation reports below provide assessment of the product quality of the SCIAMACHY ESA operational datasets and are based on comparisons with independent collocated measurements in the frame of the various validation projects such as SCILOV, VALID, and MULTI-TASTE.
Level 1 Version 8
Reports from the SCILOV-15 project:
- Botel S. et al., SCIAMACHY L1b V8 UV Radiance Validation using a Soft-Calibration approach, SCILOV-15-IUP-UVR-ScV-TN, issue 2, 7 October 2016
- Botel S. et al., SCIAMACHY L1b V8 VIS Reflectance Validation, SCILOV-15-IUP-VISrefl-ScV-TN, issue 2, 7 October 2016
- Hilbig T. et al., SCIAMACHY V8 Solar Spectral Irradiance Validation, issue 2, 27 November 2017
Level 2 Version 6.01
Report of the Multi-TASTE project:
- A. Keppens et al., "SCIAMACHY SGP 6.01 Level-2 Data Products O3, NO2, CO, CH4, BrO and H2O", Validation Report of the Multi-TASTE project, TN-BIRA-IASB-MultiTASTE-Phase-F-SCIA-SGP6-Iss1-Rev.B, 21 December 2016
Reports from the SCILOV-15 project:
- Eichmann, K.-U., L. Lelli, M. Weber, and J. P. Burrows, "SCIAMACHY Level 2 Version 6.01 Cloud Parameter Validation", Version 1.1, 28 November 2017
- Eichmann, K.-U., M. Weber, and J. P. Burrows, "SCIAMACHY Level 2 Version 6 Nitrogen Dioxide Column Validation", Version 1.1, 12 December 2017
- Galytska, E., A. Rozanov, M. Weber, R. Hommel, K. Weigel, and J. P. Burrows, "SCIAMACHY V6.01 Nitrogen Dioxide Limb Validation", Version 2, 23 November 2017
- Rahpoe, N., M. Weber, and J. P. Burrows, "SCIAMACHY V6 Limb Ozone Validation", Version 3, 6 December 2017
Level 2 version 5.02/6.00
- D. Hubert et al., "Multi-TASTE Phase F Final Report / October 2013 - December 2015", Report of the Multi-TASTE project, TN-BIRA-IASB-MultiTASTE-Phase-F-FR issue 2 revision A, 1 February 2016
- D. Hubert et al., "Multi-TASTE Phase F Report Delta-validation of SCIAMACHY SGP upgrade from V5.02 to V6.00", TN-BIRA-IASB-MultiTASTE-Phase-F-VR1-Iss2-RevA, 18 September 2015
Level 2 version 5.0
- A. van Gijsel et al., "VALID Final Report 2008 - 2010", Report of the VALID project, 11 July 2011
- D. Hubert et al., "Multi-TASTE Annual Report #2 / October 2009 - October 2010", Annual Report of the Multi-TASTE project, TN-IASB-TASTE2-AR2, 16 December 2010