Take a Tour of Earth Online
Welcome to Earth Online – the entry-point to ESA Earth Observation data and services.
After 10 years of operations on distinct sites, the two principal portals of ESA earth observation – Earth Online (earth.esa.int) and the Principal Investigator’s Portal (eopi.esa.int) have moved to a new platform. ESA’s technical and scientific earth observation user communities will from now on be served from a single portal, providing a modern and easy-to-use interface to our services and data.
Among the changes to the site is the method for accessing data, with a simple and fast registration for free online products. Access to restricted data remains as before. PI’s personal information, projects, data registrations etc. can be found in the MyEarthOnline area.
The system is integrated with the Earth Observation Single Sign-On (EO-SSO) offering a single username / password to many ESA EO services.
The navigation of the site has also changed, offering a wider variety of navigation options. In addition the look and feel of the site has been modernised.
To find out more about what has changed, keep reading.
The site provides many navigation aids, including a navigation bar, breadcrumbs, and an ‘explore more’ menu in the header, a site-map to two levels in the footer, and specific navigation boxes for each of the main topics and single pages.
1. All content is now displayed in portlets, presented in a clear and easy to read fashion.
2. The four main area drop down menus in the header allow you to navigate to the main areas of the site, Data Access, Missions, Earth Topics and PI Community and also the pages within those areas.
3. Breadcrumb navigation at the top of each page displays a trail from the page you are viewing back up the levels of the site to the homepage.
4. You can find other content in the Explore More drop down menu in the page header, such as the consolidated News and Events pages, the Document Library and Software Tools, and the EO Weekly Newsletter.
5. The Explore Earth Online section at the footer of every page is a site-map with two levels. This allows you to quickly access the page you require no matter where you are on the site.
6. The right hand side navigation on each page is area specific, in that it provides navigation within the area of the site you are viewing.
While viewing the Missions area, for example, navigation to other pages in the Missions area will be displayed here.
Each page has its own related portlets on the right hand side beneath this. For example, while viewing a page on CryoSat, you will find related items for this mission in the portlets on the right.
7. The Contact Us option in the footer of each page is your window to the online customer interface system. This requires an Earth Observation Single Sign-On account.
8. Finally, there is a single dynamic search tool at the top of the page, which can be used to perform specific searches for content throughout the site.
The Data Access section replaces the Data Products section of Earth Online. Access to online data has changed dramatically, providing a new and better method through a fast and simple registration. Access to restricted datasets remains as it was.
My EarthOnline is a personalised area for Single Sign-On users, which you can access once logged in. Here you will be able to see download links to products you have subscribed to and Principal Investigators can find data on Projects they are involved in.
Here you can search for available products, with the ability to filter your search by Topic, Mission, Instrument, Typology and Processing Level.
You can also find news on data releases, online archives and catalogues.
Most importantly you can access free data online or apply for restricted datasets.
You must have a registration and log in through the “Login My EarthOnline” option at the top of the page.
If you do not have one, you must register.
Site Areas - EOPI
A dedicated resource for Principal Investigators, the PI Community offers the latest results on studies performed using data obtained from missions. It also features upcoming events and courses ESA are involved with. This section combines the Resources section of Earth Online, and the EOPI (Earth Observation Principal Investigator) Portal.
Here you can find the latest Announcements of Opportunities and you may also apply for data in use for projects and studies by submitting a registration proposal.
To register a proposal for data, navigate to the Apply for Data page. From here you will need to log in to your Single Sign-On account through the “Login My EarthOnline” option, and then select the relevant registration you require.
In each of these sections you will note that on the right of the page there is an area that provides a list of pages in that section. This allows for quick navigation. The page you are currently viewing is highlighted.
Site Areas - Missions
Information on missions past, present and potential, can be found in the Missions section
Each ESA mission page contains technical documentation, the latest mission operations news, key resources and so on.
Site Areas - Earth Topics
This section highlights how ESA’s missions are contributing to the application areas of earth observation. This area replaces the Applications section of Earth Online and contains news and results for the eight topics.
News and Events
This is a consolidated news page, from which you can access all available news on the site.
You can select specific news of interest by year of publication, mission, and even instrument.
You can find all events on the site on the Events page, from which you can search for past, present and upcoming events by the year and month of the event. Or view the catalogue, which displays mission related events.
Area specific news and events are still available in the relevant sections of the site.