- New Envisat MIPAS L2 dataset r...
New Envisat MIPAS L2 dataset reprocessed with ORM v8.22 available
01 Apr 2021
The Level 2 reprocessing of the full Envisat MIPAS mission with the ESA ORM processor version 8.22 has been completed and the data has been assessed with respect to the quality. The reprocessed data is now available to users in NetCDF format from the ESA dissemination service for MIPAS.
The MIPAS Level 2 reprocessing covers the full mission archive from 01/07/2002 up to 08/04/2012, including both the Full Resolution and the Optimized Resolution mission phases.
Access to the MIPAS data for new users is provided after Fast Registration using the ESA EO Sign In account. The existing address and access credentials for the MIPAS ftp dissemination service remain unchanged.
Users are recommended to use the new reprocessed Level 2 v8.22 products. The previous product baseline (ML2PP v7.03) will however remain available until further notice.
Please consult the MIPAS L2 v8.22 Product Quality Readme file before using the new data.
The MIPAS Level 2 ORM processor version 8.22, used to perform the reprocessing of the full MIPAS mission, includes improvements in the retrieval algorithms, an update of the output data format and introduction of six new species in the MIPAS product, as listed below:
- Handling of horizontal inhomogeneities modelled with a user supplied horizontal gradient for both temperature and trace gases taken from ECMWF data;
- Height-dependent cloud-index (CI) thresholds for cloud detection;
- Optimal Estimation (OE) approach is used for the following species: HCN, CF4, C2H2, C2H6, CH3Cl, OCS, COCl2, HDO;
- Choice in the selection of Initial Guess profiles/ assumed profiles of interfering species;
- Filtering of the retrieved profiles (only retrieved profiles reaching convergence and having chi-square and maximum error smaller than the corresponding thresholds are used in subsequent retrievals);
- Retrieval of additional 6 types (H2O, O3, HNO3, CH4, N2O, NO2, CFC-11, ClONO2, N2O5, CFC-12, COF2, CCl4, HCN, CFC-14, HCFC-22; retrieved new species: C2H2, C2H6, COCl2, CH3Cl, OCS and HDO);
- New output data format: NetCDF
Details can be found in the accompanying documentation (Product Readme File, ATBD, and IODD).
See also the MIPAS Level 2 data description page for further information.
If you want to receive newsletters from ESA please read and accept the Privacy Notice