Part of ESA's series of advanced thematic training courses, this advanced training course focused on land remote sensing theory and applications. It was organised around four main components:
- Theoretical fundamentals of SAR, Optical and Thermal remote sensing,
- ESA and Third Party missions and products
- EO land applications lectures (urban planning, land cover, damage assessment)
- Practicals using ESA toolboxes (BEAM, BEST, POLSARPRO) on land resources monitoring.
All four components addressed both SAR and Optical/Thermal remote sensing. The training course included formal lectures by leading scientists as well as hands-on computing exercises exposing students to remote sensing applications. Practicals used ESA software tools for the exploitation of EO data, with a focus on Envisat, ERS, Explorers (SMOS) and TPM (PROBA, ALOS) data products for land applications.
The objectives of the Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing 2009 were:
- Training the next generation of European and Canadian Principal Investigators (PIs);
- Introducing available tools and methods for the exploitation of ERS, Envisat, TPM and Explorers satellite data;
- Stimulating and supporting the exploitation of ESA EO and Third Party Mission (TPM) remote sensing data for land applications