Purpose of the BUFR software (UNIX and VMS versions)
The ERS-2 Low Bit Rate Fast Delivery products are transmitted
over the WMO GTS ( World Meteorological Organisation Global
Telecommunications System) using a special Buffer format WMO FM94
The products transmitted with this BUFR format are:
- the ERS-2 UWA: SAR wave fast delivery product
- the ERS-2 URA: altimeter fast delivery product
- the ERS-2 UAT: ATSR fast delivery product (suspended)
- the ERS-2 UWI: Wind Scatterometer fast delivery
Software changes applied on version 5.03 (September
- Support for the new ATSR-2 ASST (UAT) products processed by the
SADIST-2 software. Limiting/scaling of the ATSR accross-track band
number, with reduced resolution on decode, has been implemented to
fit to new SADIST-2 processor specification.
- Support for WMO/GTS RMDCN protocol
Software changes applied on version 5.01 (January
- Implementation of the latest WMO BUFR standard known as Edition
3. This mainly defines additional information in the BUFR message
header section and includes the latest WMO published look-up
- Support for the ATSR-2 ASST (UAT) product processed by the
Recently implemented at the Tromsoe receiving station and now
available to ESA for dissemination along with the other ERS Fast
Delivery Products, the SADIST-2 products - different from earlier
SADIST V600 products - have actually required changes of the BUFR
specification for this data type.
- Tables amendments to support for QuikSCAT products
- Year 2000 compliance
Software features in version 4.04 (Dec 98)
- Wet tropospheric correction flag implemented in the ESA decoded
URA product in the DSR (Data Set Record) field 18, bit 1 (as
defined in the document "ERS Ground Stations Products
specification", with reference ER-IS-EPO-GS-201, issue 3/1, dated
December 9 1994).
Users should upgrade their decoders when ATSR products (UAT) will
be distributed by ESA
You will be informed by means of this web page or through our
The Version 5.01 can be still used to decode the others data (UWA,
URA, UWA) encoded with Version 5.03.
The Version 5.03 will however transparently decode messages encoded
with the old versions of the encoder.
- ERS-2 Kiruna Station User Interface, 5 April 1994.
ERS-IS-MDA-GS-2010, Issue 1
Full text can be ordered from our helpdesk: use the help facility
on this site
- UWA processing algorithm specification Version 2.0, 7 November
1996. ER_TN-ESA-GS-0342, Issue 1
Full text is available for FTP download in PostScript
- ERS Products - WMO FM94 BUFR Format, 16 February 2001.
ER-IS-UKM-GS-0001, Version 4.0, Issue 2
Full text is accessible together with the software -see "access"
below - or ordered through our helpdesk: use the help facility on
this site. Access to the software
Instruction to download the file
log in as "anonymous"
get bufr.tar.Z [Unix version]
log in as "anonymous"
get bufrvms.zip [VAX/ALPHA version]
BUFR Decoder v.503
here to download the UNIX version and related
- Click here to see the UNIX README version and
here to download the VMS version and related documentation
- Click here to see the VMS README version and
How to uncompress the files
tar xvf bufr.tar
which will create a subdirectory.
Check for file makefile
For UNIX users, just type: make
Others should try to decrypt the make* command file.