Full details on the orbit and instrument availability of the three Swarm satellites can be found below. These cover the complete mission period up to the specified date.
Up to September 2019
GOCE satellite housekeeping parameters database published
18 October 2019
We are pleased to announce that all GOCE satellite housekeeping telemetry parameters have been published on the GOCE Virtual Archive.
The parameters are available for the entire satellite lifetime, from launch until re-entry.
- The 9th Swarm Data Quality Workshop (SDQW), 16-20 September, 2019, Prague, Czech Republic
International Reference Ionosphere 2019 Workshop, 2-13 September, 2019, Nicosia, Cyprus
- Coïsson P, Hulot G, Madelon R, Vigneron P, Bonnot O, Truhlik V, Buresova D, Chum J, Mlynarczyk J, Kulak A, Rzonca P, "Assessing 0+ whistlers in ELF domain to constrain the ionosphere along the propagation path: initial results"
19th International EISCAT Symposium 2019 and 46th Annual European Meeting on Atmospheric Studies by Optical Methods, 19-23 August, 2019, Oulu, Finland
- Buchert S, "Joule Heating by Thermospheric Winds", PDF
- Workayehu A, Vanhamäki H, Aikio A, "Joule Heating by Thermospheric Winds", PDF
The 16th Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS), 28 Jul-2 Aug, 2019, Singapore
- Miloch W, Jin Y, Xiong C., Spicher A, Kervalishvili G, Clausen L, Stolle C, "Global Study of Ionospheric Plasma Irregularities with Swarm Satellites", PDF
The 27th IUGG General Assembly, 8-18 July, 2019, Montreal, Canada
- Bouffard J, Floberghagen R, Qamili E, Trenchi L, Olsen N, "Overview of Swarm Data Quality Status and Evolutions"
- Brown W, Beggan C, Macmillan S, "Analysis of errors in simple geomagnetic field model predictions"
- Buchert SC, "Joule Heating by Thermospheric Winds"
- Floberghagen R, Bouffard J, Siemes C, Vogel P, Qamili1 E, Trenchi L, Catapan F, "Swarm Mission Status, multi-mission opportunities and long-term plan"
- Ghadjari H, Knudsen D, Skone S, "Swarm-based survey of intense ionospheric irregularities and their effect on ground-based GNSS signals"
- Van den IJssel J, Doornbos E, Iorfida E, March G, Svitlov S, Siemes C, "Swarm thermosphere density data: observing geomagnetic storms and the response to decreasing solar activity since November 2013"
- James G and Yau A, "The Whistler Mode in the Topside Ionosphere"
- Knudsen D and Burchill J, "Science Highlights from Low-Energy Ion and Electron Distribution Imaging on Swarm and e-POP"
- Lukianova R, "Swarm field-aligned currents during the severe magnetic storms of March 2015 and September 2017"
- Olsen N, Tøffner-Clausen L, Kloss C, Finlay CC, "Exploring Earth from Space – Towards a true Swarm of Magnetic Satellites"
- Rogers H, Beggan C, Whaler K, "Application of spherical Slepian functions to decomposing core surface flows"
- Velímský J, "Modelling the Electromagnetic Induction in the Earth's Oceans with Seasonally Varying Electrical Conductivity: Massively Parallel Time-Domain Approach"
- Velímský J, Valentová Ľ, Knopp O, "Recovering the Mantle Electrical Conductivity from Swarm: Results after 5 Years"
- Workayehu A, Vanhamaki H, Aikio A, "Ionospheric currents in the two hemispheres during low and high magnetic activity by the Swarm satellite "
- Yau A, James HG, Bernhardt P, Cogger L, Hussey G, Knudsen D, Langley R, Maxworth A, Miles D, Perry G, Siefring C, "Swarm-E (e-POP) Observations of Small Scale Magnetosphere-Ionosphere Interaction Processes in the Topside Ionosphere"
- Xiong C and Stolle C, "Location of the Auroral Oval Boundaries Derived From Magnetic Field-aligned Signatures of LEO Satellite Missions"
- Zhang C, Zhang Y, Shum CK, Bezděk A, Guo JY, Encarnação J de T da, Visser P, "Temporal Gravity Field Estimates from Swarm Using Acceleration Approach and Earth Mass Transport Studies"
Coupling, Energetics, and Dynamics of Atmospheric Regions (CEDAR) Workshop 2019, 16-21 June, 2019, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
- Rodríguez-Zuluaga J, Stolle C, Park J, "On the direction of the Poynting flux associated with equatorial plasma depletions"
- Rodríguez-Zuluaga J, Stolle C, Yamazaki Y, Lühr H, Chau JL, "Assessment of the plasma and magnetic pressure balance across equatorial plasma depletions"
- March G, Visser T, Doornbos E, Visser P, van den IJssel J, Iorfida E, "Newly derived thermospheric products for CHAMP, GRACE, GOCE and Swarm"
NCAR High Altitude Observatory (HAO) Colloquium, 12 June, 2019, Boulder, Colorado, USA
- March G, "Thermosphere density and wind from satellite acceleration observations"
The Living Planet Symposium (LPS) 2019, 13-17 May, 2019, Milan, Italy
- Bouffard J, Floberghagen R, Qamili E, Trenchi L, Olsen N, "Overview of Swarm Data Quality Status and Evolutions"
- Cox G, Martinec Z, Brown W, "Denoised virtual magnetic observatories using the MagPySV package"
- Floberghagen R and Haagmans R, "Swarm extended mission - status, perspectives and opportunities"
- Aol S, Buchert SC, Jurua E, "Coincident Observations of Ionospheric Irregularities by JULIA and Swarm"
- Aol S, Buchert SC, Jurua E, "Global Distribution of Equatorial Plasma Irregularities as seen by the Swarm Satellites"
- Barrois O, Finlay CC, Hammer M, Gillet N, Martin Y, "Assimilation of ground and satellite magnetic measurements: inference of core surface magnetic and velocity field changes"
- Burchill J, "Mini Plasma Imager: A NextGen Swarm Thermal Ion Imager concept"
- Burchill J, Knudsen D, Lynch K, "The Swarm CAD Scan: resolved space and time ambiguity in ionospheric electric currents and ion drifts using the pearls-on-a-string configuration"
- Campuzano SA, De Santis A, Pavón-Carrasco FJ, Osete ML, Qamili E, "TEMPO: a 2-Year ESA-INGV Co-Funded Project to Study the South Atlantic Anomaly Evolution by Using Swarm Data"
- Chulliat A, Vigneron P, Hulot G, "Extended Climatological Model of Non-Polar Geomagnetic Daily Variations: Preliminary Results"
- Cox G, Martinec Z, Brown W, "Denoised Virtual Magnetic Observatories Using the MagPySV Package"
- Doornbos E, "Visualizing space weather data with satellite data and models"
- Encarnação JT, Visser P, Arnold D, Bezdek A, Doornbos E, Ellmer M, Zhang C, "Earth's Mass Transport Processes Observed by the Swarm Satellites during the GRACE/GRACE-FO Gap"
- Finlay CC, Olsen N, Tøffner-Clausen L, Kloss C, Hammer M, "Earth's time-varying core magnetic field from 5 years of Swarm data"
- Flury J, Svitlov S, Shabanloui A, Koch I, "Investigating sensor data on geodetic satellite missions: recent findings and progress"
- Foerster M, Burchill J, Marchand R, Resendiz P, "Estimation of the reduced ion mass and the along-track bulk flow velocity from the Langmuir probes and the faceplate currents of the Swarm electric field instruments"
- de la Fuente A, Maltese A, D'Alba L, Mariani L, "Swarm Payload Data Ground Segment: An Example of Continuous Innovation in Operations"
- Grayver A and Kuvshinov A, "Latest Swarm products in the context of mantle induction studies"
- Grayver A and Kuvshinov A, "Retrieving time series of "magnetospheric" external and internal spherical harmonic coefficients: from potential method to an alternative approach"
- Hammer MD and Finlay CC, "Local Averages of the Core-mantle Boundary Magnetic Field from Satellite Observations"
- Guzavina M, Grayver A, Kuvshinov A, "Probing Earth's upper mantle electrical conductivity with Sq variations: An approach and results"
- Heilig B, "The Equatorial Boundary of the Small-Scale Field-Aligned Currents as an Indicator of the Midnight Plasmapause Location"
- Hulot G, Coïsson P, Vigneron P, Léger J-M, Jager T, "On the Swarm ASM Burst Mode Science Data: Status of Data Production and Example Exploitation for ELF Whistler Detection and Ionospheric Investigations"
- Hulot G, Olsen N, Stolle C, "An Early Assessment of the Magnetic and Plasma Data From the China Seismo-Electromagnetic Satellite (CSES) Mission"
- Hulot G, Léger J-M, Vigneron P, Jager T, Bertrand F, Coïsson P, Boness A, Laurens A, Faure B, "Improving the Science Return of the Swarm Mission and Beyond: The NanoMagSat Nanosatellite High-Precision Magnetic Project"
- Iorfida E, Doornbos E, van den IJssel J, March G, Svitlov S, Siemes C, "Swarm L2 thermorsphere density data: response to geomagnetic storms and decreasing solar activity"
- Iorfida E, Doornbos E, van den Ijssel J, March G, Svitlov S, Siemes C, "Swarm L2 thermosphere density data: response to geomagnetic storms and decreasing solar activity"
- Ivan I-M, Marghitu O, Kaki S, Vanhamaki H, Blagau A, Kauristie K, "Validation / Optimization of Auroral Electric Field Data Observed by Swarm"
- Knudsen D and Burchill J, "High-resolution Ion and Electron Distribution Imaging on Swarm A-E: Science Highlights"
- Kervalishvili G, Xiong C, Rauberg J, Stolle C, van den IJssel J, Schreiter L, "Total Electron Content (TEC) and the Rate of TEC index (ROTI) derived from ESA's Low Earth Orbit (LEO) mission observations"
- Kervalishvili G, Lühr H, Stolle C, Rauberg J, Michaelis I, "Ionospheric currents deduced from 5 Years of Swarm constellation mission observations"
- Kloss C and Finlay CC, "Time-dependent low latitude core flow and geomagnetic field acceleration pulses"
- Knudsen D, Gillies M, Rankin R, Sydorenko D, Fenrich F, "Utilizing Swarm Observations of Field-line Resonance Arcs to Investigate the Electrodynamics Associated with the Production of this Unique Auroral Form"
- Kovacs P and Heilig B, "Detection of intermittent plasma irregularities along the Swarm orbits"
- Kuvshinov A, Guzavina M, Grayver A, Yamazaki Y, "Geomagnetic deep sounding with Sq variations. Estimating global-to-local transfer functions using physics-based model of the Sq source""
- Livermore P and Finlay CC, "High latitude dynamics: jets in the Earth's core and the accelerating north magnetic pole"
- March G, Doornbos E, Visser T, van den IJssel J, Iorfida E, Visser P, Siemes C, "Newly derived thermospheric densities and winds from satellite accelerations"
- Marchetti D, De Santis A, Perrone L, Campuzano SA, Cianchini G, Jin S, Cesaroni C, Di Giovambattista R, Ippolito A, Piscini A, Sabbagh D, "A comparison of ionospheric disturbances before the occurrence of large earthquakes between Swarm and CSES satellites"
- Martinec Z, Fullea J, Cox G, "Sensitivity Analysis of the Swarm-Observed Magnetic Field of Magnetospheric Origin to Earth's Large-Scale Mantle Electrical Conductivity Inhomogeneities"
- Miloch W, Jin Y, Xiong C, Spicher A, Kervalishvili G, Clausen L, Stolle C, "IPIR - data product for global studies of ionospheric plasma irregularities with Swarm satellites"
- Munch M, Grayver A, Kuvshinov A, Khan A, "Stochastic inversion of geomagnetic observatory data accounting for complex magnetospheric ring current structure"
- Olsen N, Alken P, Hulot G, Laundal K, Stolle C, "Exploring Earth from Space – Towards a true Swarm of Magnetic Satellites"
- Pačes M, Jensen JK, Olsen N, "VirES Support for Swarm DISC"
- Qamili E, Tøffner-Clausen L, Nielsen JB, Miedzik J, Zawada K, Romanowska M, Bouffard J, Vogel P, Floberghagen R, "An update on the Swarm Magnetic Package instrument status and their L1B data quality"
- De Santis A, Di Giovambattista R, Perrone L, Marchetti D, Cianchini G, Arquero-Campuzano S, Piscini A, Ippolito A, Cesaroni C, Spogli L, Sabbagh D, Carbone M, Amoruso L, Abbattista C, "Earthquake-related ionospheric anomalies as detected by Swarm satellite constellation"
- Velímský J, Valentová Ľ, Knopp O, "Recovering the Mantle Electrical Conductivity from Swarm: Results after 5 Years"
- Rother M, Michaelis I, Stolle C, "Calibrating magnetic field readings of Swarm's growing new family"
- Stolle C, Rodriguez-Zuluaga J, Schreiter L, Rother M, Xiong C, Kervalishvili G, "Characterization and modelling of low latitude plasma depletions by means of the magnetic field"
- Trenchi L, D'Amicis R, Catapano F, Buchert S, Nilsson T, Burchill J, Knudsen D, Foerster M, Di Betta S, Patterson D, Bouffard J, Vogel P, Floberghagen R, "Swarm Electric Field Instrument: updates on instrument status, data quality, and possible evolution of plasma products"
- Tøffner-Clausen L, Brauer P, Finlay CC, Nielsen JB, "Swarm: Sun Induced Magnetic Disturbances, dB_Sun"
- Tøffner-Clausen L, Sabaka TJ, Olsen N, Finlay CC, "Comprehensive Inversion of Swarm Magnetic Data, 5th year production"
- Van den IJssel J, Doornbos E, Iorfida E, March G, "Thermospheric densities derived from Swarm GPS data"
- Xiong C, Stolle C, Kervalishvili G, Rother M, Michaelis I, "An updated model for predicting the location of auroral oval, derived from the aaamagnetic data of multiple LEO satellite missions"
- Zehnhausern G, Guzavina M, Maute A, Grayver A, Kuvshinov A, "Geomagnetic depth sounding with ground-based Sq variations: Exploring an alternative, physics-based parameterization of the Sq source"
The EGU General Assembly 2019, 7-12 April, 2019, Vienna, Austria
- Aikio A, Vanhamäki H, Workayehu A, Virtanen I, Kauristie K, Juusola L, Buchert S, Knudsen D, "Swarm satellite and EISCAT radar observations of a plasma flow channel in the auroral oval near magnetic midnight", PDF
- Aol S, Buchert SC, Jurua E, "Comparing Equatorial F-Region Ionospheric Irregularities From Swarm and Jicamarca", PDF
- Balasis G, Papadimitriou C, Boutsi AZ, Daglis IA, Giannakis O, Hulot G, Coisson P, Mann IR, Pakhotin I, "New indices derived from Swarm observations to investigate space weather and geomagnetic activity hazards", PDF
- Blecki J, Słomiński J, Wronowski R, Słomińska E, Kułak A, Młynarczyk J, Martyński K, Iwański R, Haagmans R, Parrot M, "The effects of the strong thunderstorms seen in the ionosphere above Poland by DEMETER and Swarm satellites", PDF
- Bouffard J, Floberghagen R, Haagmans R, Fernandez D, "Swarm Mission Status, multi-mission opportunities and long-term plan", PDF
- Brauer P and Merayo JMG, "Future magnetometry missions- Lessons learned from Swarm", PDF
- Buchert SC, "Longitudinal Structures in the Swarm Plasma Densities", PDF
- Candidi M, Diego P, Piersanti M, Bertello I, Ubertini P, "CSES and Swarm comparison of ionospheric plasma density observations: a case study", PDF
- Coïsson P, Hulot G, Vigneron P, Deram P, Léger J-M, Jager T, "0+ whistlers in the ELF band recorded by Swarm satellites used to reconstruct the ionosphere below the satellite height", PDF
- Cox G, Martinec Z, Brown W, "Sampling biases and external source contamination in virtual magnetic observatories", PDF
- Dunlop M, Yang J, Freeman M, Rogers N, Wild J, Rae J, Cao J, Luehr H, Xiong C, "Correlation analysis of field-aligned currents measured by Swarm", PDF
- Engels O, Kusche J, Schulze K, Gerdener H, Lück C, Döll P, "How large is the added value of Swarm time-variable gravity if assimilated into WGHM?", PDF
- Hulot G, Léger J-M, Vigneron P, Jager T, Bertrand F, Coïsson P, Laurens A, Faure B, "The NanoMagSat (Swarm Delta) nanosatellite high-precision magnetic project", PDF
- Iyemori T, Aoyama T, Yamada A, Odagi Y, Hozumi K, Yokoyama Y, Nakanishi K, Sano Y, Jarupongsakul T, Pangsapa V, Iguchi M, "Vertical propagation of acoustic waves which generate magnetic ripples and electron density fluctuation as observed by Swarm satellites caused by lower atmospheric disturbances", PDF
- Kim H, Hwang J, Park J, Miyashita Y, Shiokawa K, Mann I, Raita T, Lee J, "Large scale ducting of Pc1 pulsations observed by Swarm satellite and multiple ground networks", PDF
- Knudsen D and Stolle C, "Satellite-Based Studies of Ionospheric Dynamics and SpaceWeather", PDF
- Kwak Y-S, Kim S-I, Kil H, Park J, Kim K-H, Ruohoniemi JM, Tomas EG, Lee J, "First identification of the high-latitude ionization trough from a satellite (SWARM) observation", PDF
- Lück C, Ren L, Kusche J, Schön S, Rietbroek R, "Influence of orbit filtering strategies on Swarm time-variable gravity fields", PDF
- Lück C, Uebbing B, Rietbroek R, Kusche J, "Using Swarm to derive global sea level budgets", PDF
- Lukianova R, "SWARM field-aligned currents during the September 2017 severe magnetic storm", PDF
- Meyer U, Sosnica K, Andritsch F, König D, Dach R, Thaller D, Jäggi A, "Combination of SLR, GRACE and SWARM monthly gravity fields at normal equation level", PDF
- Nowakowski A, Stewart C, Trenchi L, Floberghagen R, Kilbane-Dawe I, "A machine learning approach to investigate possible signals in the ionosphere related to earthquake activitym", PDF
- Qamili E, Siemes C, Trenchi L, Tøffner-Clausen L, Buchert S, Catapano F, Bouffard J, Floberghagen R, Vogel P, "Recent updates on the Swarm Level 1B products", PDF
- Qin P, Ge Y, Du A, "The Field-aligned currents coupling with MMS and Swarm Observations", PDF
- Ren L, Christina L, Kermarrec G, Schön S, Rietbroek R, Kusche J, "Mitigation of ionospheric effects on Swarm GPS observations and kinematic orbits", PDF
- Richter M, Sideris MG, Rangelova E, Kusche J, Lück C, "Bridging the GRACE/GRACE-FO gap with time-variable gravity from the Swarm satellites using PCA", PDF
- Rodriguez-Zuluaga J, Stolle C, Yamazaki Y, Chau JL, "Understanding the balance between plasma and magnetic pressures across equatorial plasma depletions using Swarm data", PDF
- Uebbing B, Lück C, Rietbroek R, Kusche J, Landerer FW, "Reconciled ocean mass estimates in global and regional sea level budgets from combining GRACE, altimetry and Swarm", PDF
- Visser P, Teixeira da Encarnacao J, Doornbos E, van den IJssel J, Mao X, Iorfida E, Arnold D, Jaeggi A, Meyer U, Bezdek A, Sebera J, Klokocnik J, Ellmer M, Mayer-Guerr T, Guo J, Shum Ck, Zhang Y, "Complete 5-years time series of combined monthly gravity field models derived from Swarm GPS data", PDF
- Yau A, Foss V, Howarth A, "Swarm-E (e-POP) Observations of Atomic N+ and Molecular Ions in Topside Ion Up-flows and Down-flows: Occurrence Characteristics and Impact on Magnetosphere-Plasmasphere-Thermosphere Coupling", PDF
79th Annual Assembly of German Geophysical Society (DGG 2019), 4-7 March, 2019, Braunschweig, Germany
- Fluche B, Stolle C, Vervelidou F, Chau JL, Kusche J, Vogt J, Lühr H, "Objectives and Activities of the DFG Priority Programme 1788 Dynamic Earth", PDF
Division of Atmospheric and Space Physics (DASP) Workshop, 20-22 February, 2019, Saskatoon, Canada
- Archer W, Gallardo-Lacourt B, St.-Maurice JP, Buchert SC, Donovan E, "The optical signature of subauroral ion drifts", PDF
- Burchill J, Foerster M, "Ion drift and effective mass estimates with the Swarm Langmuir probes", PDF
- Fenrich FR, Gillies DM, Donovan E, Knudsen D, "Analysis of field line resonance flows, field-aligned currents, and FLR aurora with SuperDARN, REGO, and Swarm", PDF
- Foss V, Yau A, "Molecular and N+ Ions in the Auroral Ionosphere", PDF
- Ghadjari H, Knudsen D, Skone S, "Electron density map of the topside ionosphere by Faceplate data of SWARM", PDF
- Gillies RG, Vollmerhaus L, Spanswick E, Donovan E, "High resolution detection and tracking of Low Earth Orbit satellites using RISR-C", PDF
- Knudsen D, "Swarm EFI and EPOP SEI Science Highlights", PDF
- Lira PAR, "Physical model to improve calculated plasma parameters from Swarm Langmuir probes measurements", PDF
- Maxworth A, Hussey G, Hird F, Sofko G, James G, Yau A, "Polarization Measurements of Proton Whistlers and other Natural Low-Frequency Radio Emissions Observed by ePOP- RRI", PDF
- Maxworth A, Hussey, G Bernhardt P, Nossa E, Hird F, Yau A, "Spectral and Polarization Characteristics of Unexpected Stimulated Natural Radio Emissions as Observed by ePOP-RRI during an Arecibo Heating Campaign", PDF
- Mohandesi A, Knudsen D, Skone S, "Comparison Between Equatorial Electron Density and GPS Signal Behavior Using Swarm Observations", PDF
- Pakhotin I, Mann IR, Xie K, Burchill J, Knudsen D, "Alfvenic Magnetosphere-Ionosphere Coupling: A Northern Preference for Electromagnetic Energy Input", PDF
- Perry GW, Ruzic KD, Sterne KT, Yau AW, "Modeling SuperDARN Saskatoon's radiation pattern in an empirical ionosphere", PDF
- Quinn C, "Determining the effects of coating material on the Swarm satellites' Langmuir Probe plasma measurements", PDF
- Yau A, Foss V, Howarth A, Perry G, Watson C, "Plasma density depletion and ion flow perturbation during the solar eclipse", PDF
AGU's Chapman on Scientific Challenges Pertaining to Space Weather Forecasting including extremes, 11-15 February, 2019, Pasadena, CA, USA
- Jin Y, Xiong C, Spicher A, Kervalishvili G, Clausen LBN, Stolle C, Wojciech MJ, "IPIR -Global study of ionospheric plasma irregularities with Swarm satellites", PDF
X Observatory Days, 9-11 January, 2019, Sodankylä, Finland
- Laundal KM, Finlay CC, Olsen N, Reistad JP, "An empirical model of the average magnetic field and polar current system, based on Swarm and CHAMP magnetometer measurements"
Magnetic Interactions 2019, 3-4 January, 2019, Liverpool, UK
- Brown W, Chulliat A, Macmillan S, Alken P, Beggan C, Nair M, Hamilton B, Woods A, "Recent secular variation and an update to the World Magnetic Model"
The AGU Fall Meeting 2018, 10-14 December, 2018, Washington, D.C., USA
- Stolle C, Xiong C, Kervalishvili G, Rother M, Michaelis I, "Space weather and geospace research with ESA's Swarm constellation: results, perspectives and opportunities"
- Laundal K, Reistad JP, Tenfjord P, Ohma A, Østgaard N, "Testing assumptions of hemispheric asymmetries in ionospheric currents with respect to the IMF By and dipole tilt angle "
- Pakhotin I, Mann IR, Xie K, Burchill JK, Knudsen DJ, "Alfvenic Magnetosphere-Ionosphere Coupling: A Northern Preference for Electromagnetic Energy Input"
- Chartier A, Mitchell CN, Miller ES, "Interhemispheric Analysis of Sporadic-F Annual Variability Using Swarm"
- Bhatt A, Kendall EA, Ruohoniemi JM, Zhang S, Coster A, Kilcommons LM, "SWARM observations of Memorial Day storm in conjunction with MANGO imaging network"
- Shen Y, Knudsen DJ, Burchill JK, Howarth AD, Yau AW, Miles D, James HG, Perry GW, "Plasma energization and field-aligned ion bulk flow observations from the Suprathermal Electron/Ion Imager (SEI) instrument onboard the e-POP (Swarm-E) satellite"
- Perry GW, Watson C, Howarth AD, Themens D, Foss V, Langley RB, Yau AW, "Swarm-E Radio Occultation Measurements of the Topside Ionosphere During the August 2017 Solar Eclipse"
- Liang J, Shen Y, Donovan E, Spanswick E, Burchill JK, Knudsen DJ, "REGO and e-POP observations of Alfvenic aurora"
15th European Space Weather Week (ESWW), 5-9 November, 2018, Leuven, Belgium
- Floberghagen R, many members of the Swarm team, "Space weather and geospace research with ESA's Swarm constellation: results, perspectives and opportunities", PDF
- Coïsson P, Deram P, Hulot G, Vigneron P, Léger J-M, Jager T, "Ionospheric information obtained from ELF whistlers detected by the ESA Swarm satellites", PDF
- March G, Visser T, Doornbos E, Iorfida E, van den IJssel J, Visser P, "Update on thermospheric density products from satellite observations March", PDF
- Balasis G, Papadimitriou C, "An initial ULF wave index derived from 2 years of Swarm observations", PDF
15th International Symposium on Equatorial Aeronomy (ISEA), 22-26 October, 2018, Ahmedabad, India
- Stolle C, Floberghagen R, Yamazaki Y, Kervalishvili G, Rodriguez-Zuluaga J, Xiong C, "The Swarm satellites: the magnetic satellite mission to investigate geospace"
- Rodriguez-Zuluaga J, Stolle C, Chau J, "Electric currents related to equatorial plasma depletions: New insights from the Swarm mission"
The Earth Observation Weekly Newsletter is published every week - usually on Fridays - and contains information about the latest technical news, ERS and Envisat planning activities, special images, planned events, documentation and tools related to ESA and ESA supported Third Party Earth Observation missions.
How to unsubscribe
If you already receive the Newsletter and wish to unsubscribe, please email us.
Please do not hesitate to send us your comments, which will help us improve our service.
Latest EO Weekly Newsletter
18 October 2019 - Week 42/2019
18 October 2019
The Korean Peninsula in East Asia can be seen in this image captured by the Copernicus Sentinel-3 mission. The peninsula is over 900 km long and is located between the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea, to the east and the Yellow Sea to the west.
The peninsula is divided into two countries – the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) and the Republic of Korea (South Korea).
North Korea is divided into nine provinces, with Pyongyang as the capital. Pyongyang, which can be seen in light grey in the upper left of the image, lies on the banks of the Taedong River and on a flat plain about 50 km inland from the Korea Bay.
The capital of South Korea is Seoul, which is in the northwest of the country, slightly inland and around 50 km south of the North Korean border.
As the image shows, the Korean peninsula is mostly mountainous and rocky, making less than 20% of the land suitable for farming.
The Yellow Sea owes its name to the silt-laden waters from the Chinese rivers that empty into it. It is also one of the largest shallow areas of continental shelf in the world with an average depth of around 50 m.
The waters off the coast of Korea are considered among the best in the world for fishing. The warm and cold currents attract a wide variety of species and the numerous islands, inlets and reefs provide excellent fishing grounds.
Sentinel-3 is a two-satellite mission to supply the coverage and data delivery needed for Europe's Copernicus environmental monitoring programme. Each satellite's instrument package includes an optical sensor to monitor changes in the colour of Earth's surfaces. It can be used, for example, to monitor ocean biology and water quality.