1.2 How to use AATSR data
Documentation and Tools
An overview of the ENVISAT product formats is
provided in the ENVISAT Products
(PO-RS-MDA-GS-2009) Volume 5 - Product Structures
Ref. [1.8 ]
Detailed product format information specific to the
AATSR products can be found in Volume 7
of the ENVISAT Product
Ref. [1.8 ]
section(Chapter 6. ) of the AATSR
Reference Guide, on Data Formats(Chapter 6. )
There are a number of ways to approach the
visualisation and analysis of AATSR
data. The following subsections provide
information on the software tools available:
Section 2.12. of the
Reference Guide, Data Handling Cookbook,
will also be used to detail
miscellaneous tools and routines
developed during the mission lifetime.
Disclaimers addressing issues affecting AATSR
product quality are published at
Hints and Tips on Data Handling
There are a number of important concepts associated
with the AATSR products that should be
understood before trying to read and
interpret the data. These include:
- The use of granules in the data processing.
- The use of tie points.
- The relationship between Measurement Data Sets
and Annotation Data Sets.
- The AATSR GST product (ATS_NR__2P) as a
- The use of placeholder values, pending the
development of more appropriate
- How to visualise spatially averaged cells.
- The use of confidence words and exception values.
- Interpreting the AATSR topographic correction.
These are discussed in section 2.12.1. of the Reference Guide, in
the Hints and Algorithms for Data
Use section of the Data Handling Cookbook.