The European Space Agency (ESA) organised an Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing with the focus on Earth Observation and Artificial Intelligence for Forestry. It took place at the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, on 20-24 September 2021.
This course was dedicated to training the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists and experts working in forestry domain to exploit data from EO missions (e.g. the Copernicus Sentinels) and use Artificial Intelligence (AI) for science and applications development. The course is part of ESA's EO Science for Society – Scientific Exploitation element of EOEP-5 (the fifth cycle of ESA's Earth Observation Envelope Programme).
The Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing – EO and AI for Forestry objectives were:
- Training the next generation of scientists and professionals on remote sensing for land surfaces, with the focus on forestry
- Explaining the theoretical principles, processing algorithms, data products and their use in forestry applications
- Introducing tool and methods for the exploitation of EO satellite data, in particular the Sentinels
- Stimulating the exploitation of EO and AI in the domain of forestry
- Demonstrating cloud-based, large-scale processing (Forestry Thematic Application Platform)