MERCI - MERIS Catalogue and Inventory
Carsten Brockmann(1) , Thomas Block(1)
, Olga Faber(1)
, Lars Fokken(1)
, and Olaf Kock(2)
(2) abstrakt gmbh, Henriettenstraße 73 , 20259 Hamburg , Germany
It is now over three years since the Medium Resolution Imaging Spectrometer MERIS onboard the ENVISAT satellite has been in space. In this time it has produced over 20 Tera Bytes of data. MERCI is a powerful software which has been developed to manage and process MERIS data regardless of the data volume and regardless of the storage media. Online storage is specifically supported, either partly or for the complete archive of data to be managed. MERCI is used internally by Brockmann Consult to manage an online archive of 1 year of MERIS data and an offline archive of all MERIS data from 2002 up to 2005. MERCI provides all functions for data acquisition, registration, quality control, product query, child product generation and dissemination. MERCI comes with a Web-Interface to make the MERIS data accessible from any place on the world.
MERCI capabilities are as follows:
- Product registration: MERIS data coming from any source media (CD, DVD, Satellite Link) are registered in a product database and organised in a file repository.
- Quick-Look generation: During product registration, a quick-look and thumbnail image are generated and available through the Web Interface.
- Statistics: A large number of statistical information are generated during registration: blank lines, number of flags set, averages of band values.
- Automated Quality Control: Tests can be defined on the statistics to perform quality control of products during registration. A final “yes/no” is calculated and the test details are available through the Web.
- Product query: A powerful query interface includes a time and location facility, an interactive map for searching relevant products from the archive as well as the possibility of obtaining statistics parameters.
- Child product generation: Working on the quick-look image a subset of a full orbit product can be selected and generated and downloaded on-the-fly.
- Pre-Defined sites of interest: Fixed areas of interest can be defined which are automatically extracted from full orbit products.