Fringe 2005 extracted recommendations by session
Thematic Mapping and DEMs
- The ENVISAT baselines should be maintained at least at the
level they currently are.
- Full-resolution SAR data should be
disseminated online for quicker and more convenient access.
Methodology: Long-term DInSAR and Terrain Motion
- In addition to the PSIC4 other datasets with reliable
ground-truth information are desired in order to assess the performances
of the different approaches under varying conditions.
Methodology: Advances in PSI
- Scattering models must/can be improved, in particular
scattering at buildings
- Stratospheric autonomous HALEs (“Stratellites”) are promising
platforms for remote sensing and should be studied in detail.
Ice and Snow
- ESA proposed to change all background IM and WS acquisitions
over Greenland and Antarctica from VV to HH. No objections to this were raised.
- Switch from VV to HH over polar land-ice
- Keep on measuring with ENVISAT!
- True 3-D would be useful.
Investigate ascending + descending + alternative angle of
options for optimizing acquisition modes of different radars in orbit
- Continue WS in the interior of Greenland and Antarctica.
Encourage and support WS-WS interferometry
- Allocate some resources to IM mode in Greenland and Antarctica
- Investigate options for easy ENVISAT-user access to ECMWF data
and derived products
- We would welcome:
A mechanism for easy ENVISAT-user access to magnetometer data
- Further studies and measurement campaigns about PolInSAR are
- For ice motion applications more channels should not be traded
for spatial or temporal resolution
- Another Tandem like (1- or 3-days repeat) configuration or a
constellation is most wanted by the community
- Future missions should keep (or enhance) spatial resolution. Enhanced temporal sampling is
- A concerted community effort to pool volcano InSAR monitoring
results by existing research groups at the regional level should be
- A Global Observing System umbrella should be sought to provide
an international conduit for results.
- ESA support for this via Background Mission -type support
would be necessary.
Earthquakes and Tectonics
- More research is needed to assess the potential of MERIS in
measuring atmospheric water-vapour variations.
- Data from the ERS archives should become freely available and
- Envisat wide-swath data acquisitions should be continued to
build up archives
- The Envisat background mission is highly appreciated and very
important and should definitely be continued (extended?)
- For further developing and supporting the use of InSAR for
operational landslide monitoring, long-term continuity of SAR missions is
- Provide new space-borne systems (C-band or L-band) with short
revisiting time (several days)
- Stimulate interaction between InSAR community and Engineering
- Stimulate research aiming at integration of processed InSAR
data into user practices
- Standardisation of InSAR-derived landslide products would
enhance the acceptance of the technique and products by the users
- Improve accessibility of available JERS-1 data archived at ESA
for InSAR purposes