1.2 How to use MIPAS data?
1.2.1 Software Tools
22.214.171.124 General tools
126.96.36.199 MIPAS specific software tools
The BASIC Envisat Atmospheric Toolbox (BEAT)
The BEAT is a collection of executable tools
and an application programming
interface (API) which has been
developed to facilitate the utilisation,
viewing and processing of ESA
GOMOS, MIPAS and SCIAMACHY data products.
The purpose of the BEAT is not to duplicate
existing commercial packages,
but to complement them with new functions.
The main components of the BEAT are:
- support all Level-1b, Level-2, and
formats for the Envisat atmospheric
different product formats)
- fast and easy access to the data
products using the EAT
library from the C language, and from
IDL and Matlab (e.g.
from IDL and Matlab, only three calls
are needed to get data
out of a product file)
- selection of product files according to
time and/or geolocation;
finding of co-located data
- data import and export functionality to
and from ASCII, binary,
HDF-4, HDF-EOS, HDF5, HDF5-EOS
- data ingestion of GOME and TOMS products
- operations on spectral and spatial data:
resampling, gridding, binning, etc.
- microwindow operations (e.g. selecting a
- integration of instrument-specific tools
(e.g. GOMECAL, a new
GOME calibration tool)
- visualisation and analysis tool (VISAN)
Architectural Design Goals
The primary design features of BEAT are:
- An open source design enabling the user
community to improve its quality.
- Portability through platform-independent
design for use on major
operating systems (e.g. SunOS, Solaris,
Linux, and MS Windows).
- High-performance and flexibility.
A basic version of BEAT called will be
released in mid December 2002.
More information is available from the
envisat web site at http://envisat.esa.int/beat
Keywords: ESA European
Space Agency - Agence spatiale europeenne,
observation de la terre, earth observation,
satellite remote sensing,
teledetection, geophysique, altimetrie, radar,
chimique atmospherique, geophysics, altimetry, radar,