Monitoring Biodiversity in Central America
Stefan Kleeschulte(1), Ute Gangkofner(1), Lasse Pettersson(2), Peter Mumby(3) and Philippe Gaspar(4)
(1) GeoVille Group, Museumstr. 9-11, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
(2) Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Center , Thormøhlensgt. 47, N-5006 Bergen, Norway
(3) University of Exeter, The Queen’s Drive, Exeter, Devon, EX4 4QJ, United Kingdom
(4) Collecte Localisation Satellites (CLS), Parc technologique du Canal, 31520 Ramonville, France
The ESA DUE project “DIVERSITY aims at defining, demonstrating and validating a number of geoinformation products and services based on Earth Observation technology for supporting the implementation of the UN Convention on Biological Diversity. Based on the requirements of the project users (UNESCO, CCAD - Comision Centroamericana de Ambiente y Desarrollo, Marviva) several products are generated for Central America and parts of the Caribbean.
The following products are based on MERIS / (A)ATSR data:
1) Regional and local information on land cover, land cover changes, forest fragmentation and derived indicators in context with biological corridors.
2) Coral reef habitats and their changes across the Caribbean region, hotspot areas in greater detail. Impacts on coral reef systems and water quality including the chlorophyll, sediment, dissolved organic matter and sea surface temperature distribution in the Caribbean Sea - from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean - are monitored.
3) EO based sea surface temperature, chlorophyll, surface currents are routinely provided and analysed for the Tropical East Pacific Ocean in order to determine how oceanic conditions influence the migration of marine animals in this area.
General goal of the project is to establish sustainable biodiversity monitoring based on repeatable approaches and earth observation data from space. The experiences gained in the project can support the objective of developing a Global Biodiversity Observation System with respect to data and products specifications and priorities.
Keywords: ESA European
Space Agency - Agence spatiale europeenne,
observation de la terre, earth observation,
satellite remote sensing,
teledetection, geophysique, altimetrie, radar,
chimique atmospherique, geophysics, altimetry, radar,