Interferometric and Polarimetric Interferometric experiments with ALOS PALSAR data
(1) sarmap s.a., Cascine di Barico, 6989 Purasca, Switzerland
The successful launch of ALOS satellite, and the wide availability of PALSAR data, thanks to the peculiar L-band frequency and full-polarimetric acquisition capabilities of its PALSAR instrument, opens new perspectives in the field of interferometric and polarimetric interfertometric applications.
This paper presents the results of a number of experiments that analyze different aspects related to interferometry and polarimetric interfertometry with PALSAR data, like:
- Relationship between coherence and tree height and possibility of extracting biomass of forested areas;
- Relationship between interferometric coherence, backscatter changes and land practices like ploughing and watering in agricultural areas;
- Relationship between polarisation, penetration depth and interferometric phase in non forested areas;
- Relationship between frequency, polarisation, penetration depth and interferometric phase in forested areas and possibility of extracting tree height;
- Short- and long time coherence at different (natural or synthesised) polarisations.
The experiments have been carried out over very different geographic locations, ranging from Switzerland in Europe to South Africa, Botswana, Malawi and Senegal in Africa, from Brazil in Southern America to Indonesia in Asia.
Ground truth information is available in most of the cases, that allow to quantify the accuracy of the results and to assess the possibility of obtaining operational services in the different cases.
Keywords: ESA European
Space Agency - Agence spatiale europeenne,
observation de la terre, earth observation,
satellite remote sensing,
teledetection, geophysique, altimetrie, radar,
chimique atmospherique, geophysics, altimetry, radar,