SAR Interferometry with TerraSAR-X
Michael Eineder(1) and Richard Bamler(1)
The TerraSAR-X project is a public private partnership between Astrium
GmbH and the German Space Center DLR.
Astrium will launch the satellite in late 2005 and holds the rights of
commercial data exploitation. DLR is curently developing the ground
segment and is responsible for the scientific expoitation of the data.
Even if the mission goal is not primarily SAR interferometry, TerraSAR-X
offers a number of new perspectives to SAR interferometry when compared
to ERS and also ENVISAT:
- High resolution of 3 meters and better in stripmap and spotlight mode.
- The option for a burst synchronized ScanSAR mode
- The high range bandwidth will allow large baselines and the option for
highly precise DEM generation.
- X-Band will show new scattering properties
- High observation frequency due to short repeat cycle and variable
- An along track interferometric mode.
The available products relevant for interferometry are presented and
other relevant topics like orbit control and phase stabilization are
Keywords: ESA European
Space Agency - Agence spatiale europeenne,
observation de la terre, earth observation,
satellite remote sensing,
teledetection, geophysique, altimetrie, radar,
chimique atmospherique, geophysics, altimetry, radar,